Archive for the ‘facebook’ Category
Last year I panned Facebook’s first foray into online advertising. I think Facebook is starting to demonstrate to me that they can get advertising right. I live in the UK, my wife is Canadian and I have a lot of Canadian friends on Facebook. Could it be that I’m being targeted by an airline that flies to Canada from the UK?
I might be reading too much into this – it might just be a regular campaign targeted at UK residents. It is much more difficult to infer if a Social Network advert is targeted or generic. With Google Adwords everything is out in the open, with Facebook it’s kept away from our prying eyes! I’ve flown with Zoom before, so the evolution of this would be whether I could be included or excluded based on my email address.
Actually, I just got this Ad – so it’s obviously pot luck for a married guy in his 20s like me!
I’m on Holiday so I’ll keep it short. I logged onto Facebook tonight and was greated by the following advert in my news feed:
- It was only a matter of time until this happend, but this ****** me off something else…. it is “my” news feed after all… I think injecting adverts into my news like this is pretty cheap and tactless.
- Is this a targeted advert at me? If so, well done on asking a married guy if he’s tired of being single… get a grip.
- Has someone “shared” this advert to me? Are they being compensated? If so, this is yet another privacy issue I have with Facebook.
- Are the pictures of real Facebook users? Do they know that their picture is being used to sell some dating service through Facebook? Are they being compenstated?
- If it’s not real users, the advert implies that they are and in my book that’s wrong…